Eaton's non-explosive actuator solutions include G&H TechnologyTM separation nuts. These restraint and release devices utilize redundant, split-spool initiators to provide rapid releases with low power consumption. Additional features include:
- Safe handling and deployment; non-explosive actuators do not require the explosive materials precautions associated with pyrotechnic actuators.
- Fragment and debris-free operation.
- Form, fit, and function replacements for pyrotechnic actuators can be quickly developed.
For more information,call 805-484-0543 or e-mail email@example.com
Rapid releases across a wide range of operating temperatures
Separation nuts are available with standard load ratings from 4500 to 9500 pounds (20 to 42.2 kilonewtons). Customer-defined load ratings and attachment-bolt sizes are also available.
Separation nuts utilize split-spool initiators as hold down preloading assemblies and 1/4 or 5/16 inch load attachment bolts as hold down release actuators. After electrical initiation, load deployment is facilitated by threaded-segment release of the load-attachment bolt.
Heritage Proven, Custom-Solution Capabilities
Separation nut program heritage includes applications that extend from low-earth orbits to landings on Mars. The technologies used in these critical applications can be leveraged to accelerate the development of custom release mechanisms to support a wide range of mission requirements:
- Customer-defined load ratings and response times.
- Single or redundant initiation.
- Cryogenic ratings, nickel platings, and a wide range of mounting configurations.
- Form, fit, and function replacements for pyrotechnic actuators.
- Integrated connector and cable assemblies.
Field Reset & Refurbishment Capabilities
Field refurbishment is accomplished by replacing the expended initiators. Refurbishment costs are typically less than 20% of the cost of replacing one shot, pyrotechnic devices.
- The refurbishment process can be performed in less than ten minutes.
- Additional cost savings during testing are attained by eliminating the safety-assurance requirements inherent to firing pyrotechnic actuators.
Multiple-test sequences can also be facilitated by replacing the split-spool initiators with the field resetable mechanical initiator pictured to the left.
- Field resetting is accomplished in under five minutes with no parts replacements.
- The mechanical initiator imparts less shock than pyrotechnic devices and reduces the potential of damaging sensitive equipment during testing.
Additional Separation Nut Information
Additional separation nut selection and design-in information is provided in Eaton's Non-Explosive Actuators Design Guide and the Space and Launch Capabilities Brochure.
Non-Explosive Actuators Design Guide contents include:
- Non-explosive and pyrotechnic actuator technology comparisons
- Theories of operation for separation nuts, actuators, cell-bypass switches, and highly-integrated solutions such as interconnect releases and structural-separation systems.
Space and Launch Capabilities Brochure contents include:
- Release mechanisms technologies, design platforms and custom-solution capabilities
- Space-rated connector selection including NATC, cryogenic to 5000 degrees F. operating ranges and low-imparted-shock solutions.
- Theories of operation for electrically and mechanically initiated umbilicals and in-flight disconnects.
Use the link below to register for PDF or printed copies; due to export-controls restrictions, these brochures are not downloadable from this web site.