Custom military cable design options
Eaton's 50-year track record of providing military and aerospace connectivity solutions is the cornerstone for an extensive array of standard and custom connectors, accelerated design-to-deployment cycle time capabilities, and application-optimized design options:
- Heritage-proven designs and tooling can be leveraged to support a wide range of customer requirements.
- Three strategically-located facilities provide logistics, certification/compliance, and ITAR support options.
- Turnkey design, collaborative co-development, and build to print engineering engagements.
This page presents an overview of design options that can be selected by customers to support their applications. Click here to return to the custom cables and wiring harnesses main web page.
Application Optimized end-to-end connectivity solutions
Eaton's extensive array of design and manufacturing resources support a broad range of end-to-end connectivity requirements. Application-optimized cable assembly and wiring harness options include:
- Blown-on and shrunk on jacketing materials include EPDM, neoprene, polyurethane and polyolefin.
- Braided jacketing materials include Kevlar, Nomex, nylon and polyester.
- Foil shields include aluminized, Mylar, and MuMetal. Braiding wires include nickel, silver, and tin-coated copper.
- Overmolding options include transfer and press molding as described below.
Lacing and overbraiding options
Eaton has heritage proven expertise in cable lacing and overbraiding. Lacing process compliances include NASA-STD-8739.4, MIS-20887, MPD-7011, and IPC-620. Customized overbraiding equipment utilize adjustable braid angles and gear ratios to provide greater than 90% optical coverage and (as depicted above) uniform, continuous braiding even around branch junctions.
Metal and textile military-cable braiding materials include:
- Braided metals: nickel-coated copper, silver-coated copper, tin-coated copper, tinned copper clad steel, stainless steel and aluminum.
- Braided textiles: Kevlar, Nomex, Nylon, Polyester, Polyethylene, and Teflon.
Overmolding options include transfer and press molding
Eaton maintains an extensive array of insourced and outsourced overmolding capabilities to support accelerated design to deployment schedules and ensure void-free overmolds in mission-critical applications such as the 6.5 inch outside diameter by 10.5 inch long overmold used on an anti-missile defense connector/cable assembly depicted to the left.
Harsh-environment performance is also facilitated by heritage-proven primers that promote maximum adhesion, and insure separation-free bonds, across a wide range of substrate materials.
Transfer and press overmold options include:
- Transfer molded materials: EPDM, Hypalon, Neoprene, amd Viton.
- Press-molded materials: epoxies, polyurethanes, and silicones.
Additional Information - Custom Cable Capabilities
For additional custom cable information, call 805-484-0543 or select the following link:
This brochure describes:
- Design options for cable assemblies and wiring harnesses
- Turnkey design, collaborative co-development, and build to print capabilities
- Accelerated design to deployment supported by an extensive array of in-house design and manufacturing resources