Eaton's Smart Grid is the application of monitoring, communications, intelligence and action into integrated solutions that automate the electrical grid (from transmission to consumer) to improve reliability, productivity (cost) and efficiency. One of the key components of the Smart Grid is Demand Response.
Demand Response is basically a change in the amount of electricity consumed during a certain period of time. This change can be caused by a price change or other factors, including control signals initiated by electric utilities.
Eaton is the largest provider of utility Demand Response equipment and software in the United States. This is due to our industry leading technology, our track record for quality and timely delivery of large systems, and our complete system support.
As the market leader in utility Demand Response we offer software, hardware, and service to provide the complete portfolio of demand response alternatives for energy consumers ranging from residential, commercial to large industrial clients.
Eaton has a more than 20 year history of deploying and supporting Demand Response programs nationwide, and is the leading supplier of DR solutions to the U.S. utility industry. Eaton's proven and effective technology-based Demand Response solutions will:
- Shift peak demand to off-peak periods
- Ease electrical system constraints
- Reduce the need to buy or build expensive generation, transmission, and distribution equipment
- Save the utility and the customer money
Eaton provides Demand Response solutions for all customer segments:
- Mass Market Customers
- Utility-directed load management
- Customer-controlled load management
- Large Commercial Customers
- Industrial Customers
Eaton's Cooper Power™ series Demand Response solutions have been chosen by utilities over twice as often those of our competitors in all competitively bid mass-market demand response programs in the last five years.
The following illustrations reflect two options relating to the Demand Response Solution.
The arrangement in which the Yukon system is managed by Eaton and located at various Tier 1 facilities.
The arrangement in which the Yukon System would be hosted by the utility.
Customer-focused solutions provider—Eaton is the industry leader in customer support and product innovation. We have the largest development and support staff in the industry.
A variety of hardware solutions—Eaton offers Internet-enabled programmable communicating thermostats (PCTs), direct load control switches, and meters. We offer solutions for residential, small commercial and large commercial and industrial customers.
Flexible communications—Eaton offers a range of communication options.
- 900 MHz FLEX Paging
- 154 MHz VHF Paging
- Power Line Carrier (PLC)
We will work closely with the utility to provide the best option to meet its specific needs.
Integrated technology solution—Eaton provides a suite of solutions that performs the following functions:
- Supports multiple metering solutions with our scalable software management and reporting application, known as Yukon
- Supports the utility business processes including billing and customer service
- Seamlessly integrates with Automated Meter Infrastructure (AMI)
Eaton's Cooper Power™ series Demand Response solutions increase customer satisfaction through:
- Reduced outages
- More consistent service
- Less variance in frequency and voltage
- Customers participation in progressive and positive programs that are
- Environmentally friendly
- Good for society and posterity
- Demand Response manages our scarce resources
- Demand Response helps avoid construction of unnecessary power plants and transmission lines
- Demand Response helps to lower the long-term cost of power
- Capacity investment savings
Eaton solutions provide benefit to the utility because they:
- Do not materially affect kWh sales
- Shift load to cheaper times
- Create competitive advantages due to the fact that customers prefer providers who offer Demand Response
- Avoid spot market purchases
- Allow spot market sales
- Are the cheapest form of incremental capacity