S.T.A.R. Faulted Circuit Indicators
S.T.A.R. (Superior, Tough, And Reliable) faulted circuit indicator (FCI) products offer our customers the ability to find overhead system faults quickly, reducing the duration of outages. Among our faulted circuit indicators we offer six basic types of FCIs and each unit is tailored to be the most reliable for the intended application. Each type varies by reset method and the type of system it connects to.
- Inrush Restraint: Feature that eliminates false tripping by ignoring inrush currents caused by reclosing operations of protective devices on the system. A dead time of 200 ms will activate the inrush restraint feature.
- Low Pass Filter: Prevents the faulted circuit indicator from tripping on high frequency transients like those caused by cable capacitive discharges.
- Temperature Compensation Circuitry: Assures accurate and reliable performance over the entire specified temperature range, -40°C to +85°C, per IEEE Standard 495-1986™.
- High/Low Trip Rating: Allows for simplified trip rating selection based on the primary amperage rating of the system. For example, select low for 200 A systems, and high for 600 A systems.
- Variable Trip Rating: Trip design that indicates a fault when a significant rise in current, followed by a loss of voltage, is detected (rather than a specific, static trip setting). The variable trip rating applies to PATHFINDER™ models, and allows for a wide range of applications, as well as a reduction in inventories, thus, saving money.
- Battery Life Optimization Circuitry (BLOC): Ensures maximum life for the battery powering the LED display. Used in the PATHFINDER Test Point Reset (TPR) Faulted Circuit Iindicators (FCI), the BLOC feature will shut the LED display off after 4 hours, but retains a record of fault occurrence in memory, which can be interrogated by use of the manual reset/testing tool. The event will remain in memory until the unit is either manually reset or until normal system power is restored.
- Reset Restraint: Prevents the fault indicator from falsely resetting due to feedback voltages of less than 80% of the normal voltage measured at the test point.
- Current Transformer Design: Eliminates false tripping due to adjacent cable conditions.
- Single Hotstick Installation: Allows for quick and simple installation with the use of a single hotstick.
- FISHEYE™ Display: Provides 180° visual indication of FCI operation. This unique orange reflective target designates a fault and a black target designates a normal condition.
- Test Point Adapter Kit: For applying Test Point FCI models on non-standard test points. Kit provides metal contact and hex wrench, for retrofitting older-style test points, to allow installation of the Test Point FCI (Adapter kit sold separately).
- Manual Testing/Reset Tool: This simple tool allows the user to either reset a tripped FCI, or to interrogate a FCI that is equipped to store a fault occurrence in memory, such as the PATHFINDER™ TPR FCI.
- Universal Power Supply: For low voltage reset model, allows power source to be at any secondary voltage (120, 208, 240, and 277 VAC). (Standard LVR model requires 120 VAC).