• Aflac Support Center, Worldwide Headquarters, Columbus, Georgia
• Parking area lighting
• One-to-one retrofit of metal-halide (MH) luminaires to LED
• Average $17,500 in annual savings
• Annual energy savings of over 166,000 kWh
• Reduced load by 76% (49 kW)
• Maintenance-free for over 10 years
• Reduction equivalent to 120 metric tons of CO2 emissions annually
• Reduction equivalent to growing 3,000 tree seedlings for 10 years
Aflac, headquartered in Columbus, Georgia, insures more than 50 million people worldwide and has more than 70,000 licensed agents. The company is committed to maintaining and improving the environment. As part of this commitment to serving its customers and its employees, Aflac partnered with Cooper Lighting to retrofit the Aflac Support Center parking lot located at its worldwide headquarters with LED lighting.
The project included retrofitting the existing sixty-one 1000W metal halide fixtures with fifty-three Eaton McGraw-Edison Ventus LED luminaires (303W). As a result, the company’s electrical load was reduced by 76 percent or 49.8 kW, resulting in a projected annual energy savings of $17,500 (166,000 kWh) with a 3.4-year payback.
“We had considered deploying LED lighting for a while to benefit from the significant energy savings of replacing the high wattage lighting in the parking lot,” said Jay Ellis, Facilities Maintenance and Construction. “However, in addition to the energy savings we gained, we significantly improved light levels, making this project a great success.”